The Applied Research Institute (ARI) is seeking candidates for a part-time communications undergraduate or graduate hourly position. This position will assist with developing and executing high-impact communications strategies for the Applied Research Institute (ARI) that reaches diverse audiences. The position will work closely with ARI staff to generate high-quality marketing pieces and assist in the preparation of communications material towards technical proposals and reports.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Write, edit, and coordinate innovative communications initiatives through a variety of media including stories, newsletters, interviews, videos, and webinars
• Coordinate with office administrator to manage social media accounts
• Assist with graphics and editing of proposals
• Develop target media lists and other tools to help build awareness and understanding of ARI in the local community and nationally
• Help coordinate with vendors for the production and distribution of advertising and other promotional materials
• Monitor policies, procedures, and guidelines related to communications and marketing initiatives; maintain University branding standards within ARI
• Ensure consistent messaging in all communications
• Perform other duties as assigned
Minimum Requirements & Qualifications:
• 2 years of college credits towards a BA/BA degree in journalism, communications, public relations, or related field
• Minimum of one year professional work experience creating, writing, and editing a variety of materials such as articles, brochures, news releases, and social media
• Results-oriented with strong organizational and time management skills
Preferred Requirements & Qualifications:
• Public university or large research center experience coordinating communications initiatives
• Experience with media relations
• Ability to write and edit technical reports
• Possess a basic understanding of technical and engineering concepts
• Possess an enthusiasm for technology
The position will require 5-10 hours of work per week. The hourly rate of pay will be commensurate with qualifications. The anticipated start date is as soon as possible; August 15, 2021, at the latest. Interested applicants should send a resume, a list of three references, and a work sample that highlights communication and technical skills (writing, audio, or video) to Nicole Johnson via email at email@example.com on or before August 1, 2021. Please indicate “Communications Intern” in the email subject line.
Career and Benefits Information
- Jobs at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Employee Benefits Summary
- Employee Leave Policies
- University of Illinois Human Resources
- Grainger College of Engineering Safety Policy Statement
Are you a student and looking for an internship or to get involved?
Illinois is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or criminal conviction history. Illinois welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. Learn more at www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.